Hot to Reset an Existing iTunes Account on Your Computer?Print this page
The number of computers that can be authorized to use one and the same iTunes account at the same time is limited to five. Before formatting or selling your computer you should therefore reset the account, i.e. de-authorize it. Otherwise you will lose one activation slot for one year. In order to de-authorize the computer it must be connected to the Internet, since information will be transferred to the iTunes server. Furthermore, you will need your iTunes Store account registration data, especially the password. The process itself is short, simple and does not require any special knowledge.
Step by step:
- Open Apple iTunes. If you use Microsoft Windows you will find it in the “iTunes” directory located in the “Programs” section after clicking on the “Start” button. Open it and click on the link “iTunes”.
- After the iTunes interface has been loaded, click on the "Store" tab in the upper left corner.
- After the “Store” tab has opened, choose "De-authorize Computer”, located directly under the middle of the tab. You will then be prompted to enter the password of your iTunes Store account. The e-mail address that designates your account should already be displayed. Otherwise, please enter it.
- Enter the password and click on "De-authorize".
- Congratulations, you have successfully de-authorized your iTunes Store account thereby increasing the number of possible simultaneous activations from four to five. In order to authorize it, simply follow the above instruction but click on “authorize” instead of “de-authorize”.