How to write an appendix in APA style?Print this page
Keep in mind
The APA style, designed by the American Psychological Association (APA), is a standardized form of scientific writing. A document written according to the APA style consists of 8 parts:
- Title page
- Appendix/ Appendixes
- As final part of the style guide the Appendix has to follow the general rules of the APA style as well as those created specifically for writing an Appendix in this style. Therefore we will first go through a general checklist and further continue with a more detailed view on the APA style appendix.
Step by step:
- Paper size & typing
- As the APA style is a US American format it uses the standardized paper size 8.5” * 11”. Further this style usually asks the writer to hand in the final document in typing.
- The APA style page is setup with a margin of 1” on all four sides (top, bottom, left, right).
- The whole document is double spaced.
- The first line of each paragraph is indented by 5 to 7 spaces.
Fond and Fond Size
- In APA style usually Times New Roman or Courier in 12-pt fond is used for writing documents.
Manuscript page headline
- In the first line, 1” (5 spaces) from the left each page consists of a ‘manuscript page headline’. This headline displays the first two to three words of the total title of the paper.
- In one line with the ‘Manuscript page headline’, 1” (5 spaces) from the right edge each page has a consecutive page number.
Appendix specific guidelines of APA style
- After finishing the general requirements we will now concentrate on those styles specifically needed when writing an Appendix.
Content of the appendix
- The appendix includes addition information such as for example questionnaires, which would distract the reader in the body of paper. But as they also help the reader to better understand the paper they are listed in the very back of the document.
- Each listed appendix begins on a separate page.
- Below the earlier described ‘manuscript page headline’ the header of the appendix is centered. If there is more than one appendix, the appendixes are numbered consecutively with capital letters starting with A (Example: Appendix A, Appendix B, etc.). If there is only one appendix no listing is being done (Example: Appendix).
- Below the appendix header a headline describing the appendix topic is centered.
For further information quod vide the following website:www.easybib.com