How to tighten up a bicycle chain?Print this page
Keep in mind
- After completing the task, make sure the rear wheel is centered.
- The chain should still move half a centimeter up and down.
- Do not tighten it completely. This can resolve in a broken chain.
Things you will need
- Wrench, which fits to the screws on your rear wheel,
- In alternative case, a flat screw driver.
Step by step:
- Release the brakes on the rear wheel,
- Turn your bicycle upside down, so that the wheels are facing upwards,
- Loosen the screws on the rear wheel and pull it back till the chain is tight.
- Tighten the screws and put the brakes back on.
- In case you cannot tighten the chain sufficiently with the method above, you will have to make the chain shorter. To do that, follow the following instructions.
- Loosen the screws on the rear wheel again
- Search for the link on the chain, which can be removed in order to take the chain apart.
- Use a flat dead screw driver and take the chain apart.
- Remove only one link of the chain.
- Put the chain back together and adjust it on its place.
- Pull the rear wheel backwards till the chain is tightened as it should be.
- Tighten the screws on the wheel.
- Put brakes back on.